What is Artificial Grass?Artificial grass, also known as ‘synthetic grass’ or ‘synthetic turf’, is a material made to look like real grass, but made of man-made fibers. Blades of fake grass are typically made from polyethylene, a type of plastic, while the layer underneath is usually made of polypropylene or nylon.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Having Artificial Grass?There are many pros to installing fake grass in your garden, including the fact that it doesn’t require watering, mowing or treating, making it cheaper and more environmentally friendly to use on a day-to-day basis. It won’t result in hay-fever symptoms, looks beautiful all year round and provides a solution to common lawn drainage issues. It is a great option for those with pets, and is very easy to maintain - greatly minimizing your landscaping needs.
However, there are also some downsides. The initial cost is higher than that of a real grass lawn, and artificial grass installation can take longer. It doesn’t smell like real grass, and can reduce the biodiversity of your garden in some cases. Low quality synthetic turf can look cheap, and won’t last as long as higher-quality turf.
15 Reasons to Install Artificial GrassThere are many reasons why artificial grass installation is a popular choice amongst homeowners. The reduced maintenance, cheaper running costs and more environmentally-friendly maintenance means that it’s a fantastic option for families and individuals. Read on to find out the 15 reasons you should install artificial lawn in your garden.
1. It doesn’t require wateringOne of the biggest reasons that many people choose to install artificial grass in their garden is because it doesn’t require watering. This means that it is ideal for those in dryer climates where water isn’t as abundant.
2. It reduces your water billsAs a result, fake grass will result in lower water bills. Far less money (and time!) is spent on irrigation systems or near-constant watering in warm weather.
3. It’s easy to maintainAn artificial lawn is also much easier to maintain than a real grass lawn. Some regular raking and brushing off will do the trick when it comes to making your lawn look brand new again. In contrast, real grass lawns require mowing, re-seeding, watering and raking.
4. It looks beautiful all year roundSynthetic turf is ideal if you want your garden to look lovely all year round. In many countries, harsher winters result in muddy, water-logged, real grass lawns, while summer months result in dry, brown-yellow real grass lawns. There may be just a few months in between when the real grass looks green and lovely. On the other hand, fake grass looks great all year round.
5. It won’t become overgrownIn addition, your fake grass lawn will never become overgrown and unkempt. The neat, straight edges or curves to your lawn will be as pristine as the day they were installed.
6. It saves you money on gardeningWhen it comes to maintaining a synthetic lawn, you won’t be spending as much on maintenance. Weedkillers, fertilizers, seeds, lawnmowers, and all the various tools required cost money. While artificial grass is more of an investment upfront, it is certainly cheaper to have day-by-day.
7. No harsh fertilizers or chemicals are requiredIn order to keep a real grass lawn looking immaculate, chemicals are often required to keep both weeds and pests at bay. While effective, these chemicals have damaging effects on the environment and surrounding wildlife.
8. It reduces day-to-day emissionsPetrol or electric lawn mowers are damaging to the environment, contributing to the emission of harmful gases into the atmosphere. Artificial grass results in no ongoing harmful emissions, although the manufacturing process can be destructive. However, many types of synthetic turf are now recyclable, which helps to limit the impact on the environment.
9. It won’t get muddy in wet weatherReal grass can often become wet and muddy in wet weather, making it more difficult to use for sports, for example. Artificial grass does not have the same problem, and this makes it an ideal solution for all-weather use.
10. It is very versatileModern fake grass is very versatile, and is available in different colors, styles, textures and weights. This makes it suitable for use in a wide range of domestic and commercial environments, include lawns, swimming pools, terraces, offices, golf courses, hotels and gyms.
11. It provides a solution to common drainage issues Artificial grass installation gives homeowners a solution to common problems with drainage. Water generally drains better with a synthetic turf, reducing the pooling of water and wet spots in the lawn.
12. It’s suitable for allergy sufferersSynthetic turf is a fantastic option for those with grass pollen allergies and hay-fever, dramatically reducing symptoms for those who suffer in times of high pollen counts.
13. It’s useable in shady areasAnother benefit of artificial grass installation is that it does not need sunlight to stay looking fresh, unlike real lawns. This means that it is a great option for shady areas, or areas where the soil quality isn’t good enough to maintain a nice-looking lawn.
14. It’s long-lastingAlthough there is a higher upfront cost associated with artificial grass installation, its durability means that it may not need to be replaced for upwards of 15 years. Many types of artificial grass are UV-resistant, which further increases the lifespan of the turf.
15. It can be recycledMany artificial grass manufacturers are now producing grass that can be recycled once it comes to the end of its life. This puts homeowners at ease, knowing that their synthetic lawn won’t end up in landfill.
Who is Synthetic Grass Suitable for?Synthetic grass is ideal for elderly people, or people with reduced mobility, due to its reduced maintenance requirements. For this reason, it is also a fantastic option for those who are away from home a lot, or busy families with little time to spend maintaining the landscaping. It is great for those with children and pets, as it is very durable and cannot be pulled up easily like real grass can. It is also ideal for those with allergies to grass or pollen, since is does not contain allergens.
It's also great for businesses that have either sports turfs, such as indoor soccer arenas or playgrounds such as family friendly restaurants.
In summary, artificial lawns are a great option for those who want a cheaper, more environmentally-friendly and aesthetically beautiful lawn. It is much easier to maintain than real grass, and so is suitable for a wide range of people.